The Santa Fe Farmers’ Market began as a loose-knit group of farmers selling produce on Saturdays in the late 1960’s. The group became more formally organized in 1971 with the help of the League of Women Voters and the County Extension Office, and farmers began selling from their trucks in the parking lot of St. Anne’s Church. In 1976, the Market moved to the Alto Street Recreation Center parking lot, where it remained for the next ten years.
In 1986, the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market moved to the newly opened Sanbusco Market Center in the Railyard. Over the years, the market grew until it reached its upper limit for growth at the Sanbusco site and then moved to a temporary location in the Railyard, and finally to its new building and outdoor vendor arcade on the Railyard at 1607 Paseo de Peralta.
The Market continues to be a valuable bridge between urban and rural communities in northern New Mexico. While its primary focus is providing fresh, nutritious, locally grown products, the Market, with the help of the Santa Fe Farmers’ Market Institute, also offers a wide range of public services through educational programming and seasonal events.
Santa Fe Farmers’ Market & Farmers’ Market Institute
1607 Paseo de Peralta, Suite A
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505.983.4098 (Farmers’ Market)
505.983.7726 (Farmers’ Market Institute)
For more information about this building and available lease space, contact:
Kierstan Pickens, Executive Director, 505-983-7726 x3, firstname.lastname@example.org